Sunday, March 28, 2010

Where does joaquin phoenix live


  • Had to pay up $220 to pal Ryan Phillippe after claiming the Best Actor prize at 2006 Golden Globes. He was so sure he wasn't going to win that he agreed to a bet with Ryan Phillippe. (January 19, 2006)
  • Is having problems finding a girlfriend, because all his potential dates research him first. He hates sharing a meal or drink with an attractive lady who knows everything about him, thanks to the media and internet. (January 13, 2006)
  • Directs Welsh rock quintet People In Planes’ music video of If You Talk Too Much (My Head Will Explode). (January 11, 2006)
  • Laughs off reports he is launching a singing career after playing country music legend Johnny Cash in movie biopic WALK THE LINE. (January 11, 2006)
  • Invited to join AMPAS in 2006.
  • Was nominated for 3 categories in the Music Video Production Association Awards (2006), Directorial Debut, Direction of a New Artist, and Adult Contemporary.
  • Is half a foot shorter than the real Johnny Cash was, although he plays him in WALK THE LINE (2005).
  • Host a special screening of Johnny Cash biopic WALK THE LINE at Folsom State Prison - the place where Cash famously played a controversial concert for inmates - on January 3, 2006
  • Was so nervous about promoting WALK THE LINE on The Oprah Winfrey Show, the talk show queen had to coax him onto the stage. (November 15, 2005)
  • Wanted by The Hives rocker Pelle Almqvist to play him on the big screen. (October 31, 2005)
  • Refuses to watch his own movies, because he hates the way he looks on screen.
  • Denies tabloid reports that he had a breakdown while filming a scene related to Johnny Cash's brother's death in WALK THE LINE. Instead, he banged his head on a bedpost during a scene in which Cash is going through drug withdrawal in an attempt to get into his character's emotional state. (August 23, 2005)
  • Has checked himself into rehab in a bid to win his long battle with alcohol abuse. (April 14, 2005)
  • Broke down on the set of WALK THE LINE and started banging his head against a wall - because a scene reportedly sparked memories of his brother River Phoenix's tragic death. (2004)
  • Fears his portrayal of Johnny Cash in biopic WALK THE LINE will be panned because he feels inadequate as the country legend. (July 27, 2004)
  • Phoenix and John Travolta worried the producers of their upcoming movie LADDER 49 a great deal because they got a little too involved in their firefighting research. (January 28, 2004)
  • He confesses to having been frightened by the flick of his latest film, SIGNS, when he finally saw it at a screening.
  • Known well as an animal lover, he also revealed that the dog in SIGNS, who reacted with fright every time the aliens were in the cornfield, was trained to bark on cue and behave scared.
  • Took his mother to the Academy Awards. (2001)
  • May 2000- He appeared on both Late Night with David Letterman and The Tonight Show with Jay Leno promoting GLADIATOR.
  • He took his mother to the premiere of GLADIATOR.
  • He was born Joaquin Raphael, but at the age of four he decided that he wanted a more earthy name, like his elder siblings River and Rain, so while he was raking leaves with his father he decided on Leaf. In the early '90s he would take back his birth name.
  • His first name is pronounced WAA-keen
  • He is a strict vegan and will not wear costumes made out of animal skin.
  • He was born on same day, year and city as Dayanara Torres Delgado
  • He resides in New York City in the same apartment building as best friend Casey Affleck and sister Summer Phoenix and director Gus Van Sant.
  • Martha Plimpton, played his older sister in PARENTHOOD (1989) while dating his brother River Phoenix in real life.
  • Replaced Mark Ruffalo who had to pull out of SIGNS (2002) due to ill health.
  • He is a good painter.
  • Has a motorcycle.
  • Was a model for Prada.
  • Hits his head against walls when he thinks a scene isn't done right.
  • Joaquin used to be a transsexual lap-dancer working in Japan.
  • Was born with the scar on his lip.
  • Joaquin changed his name to Leaf when he was 4 years old, to have a more earthy name like his siblings.
  • His parents changed their Surname to Phoenix, which means strength, before they had their 5 children as a sign of a new beginning.
  • Joaquin is that kind of person who is never getting married, and he love the way that he is.
  • He was with River the night he died.
  • His parents are divorced
  • Likes Radiohead, Gangstarr, and John Lennon.
  • His best friend is actor Casey Affleck, brother of Ben. Casey also dates Joaquin's sister, actress Summer Phoenix.
  • Likes women to call him Kitten.
  • Member and Spokesperson for PETA (People for Ethical Treatment of Animals).
  • Joaquin, his sister Summer, Casey Affleck and Director Gus Vans Sant all live in the same apartment building in New York.
  • Does not eat eggs and does not drink milk.
  • He enjoys Spanish soap operas.
  • Watches Spanish soap operas to improve his acting ability.
  • Speaks fluent Spanish.
  • Likes country and rock music.
  • Contrary to popular belief, the scar on his lip is not the result of a repaired cleft lip or palate. It is simply a birth mark. Phoenix has stated in interviews that, while pregnant with him, his mother felt a sharp pain one day, and he was born with a mark on his lip.
  • Did his own vocals on the WALK THE LINE (2005) soundtrack.
  • Favorite authors include Tennessee Williams, Rainer Maria Rilke and Hubert Selby Jr..
  • He and River Phoenix are the first brothers to be nominated for acting Academy Awards.
  • In his diner scene with Sean Penn in U TURN (1997) the song Ring of Fire by Johnny Cash starts playing. Years later, Joaquin played Cash in WALK THE LINE (2005).
  • Is of Russian, Spanish and Hungarian heritage.
  • Joaquin's mother is of Hungarian-Russian decent and his father is of Spanish-Irish decent.
  • Close friends with Matt Damon.
  • Close friends with Vince Vaughn.
  • Kate Winslet calls him the best actor of his generation.
  • Nickname: Kitten / Joaq
  • Often brings his mother or any of his three sisters as his date to movie premieres or award shows.
  • Once refused to wear shoes during a photo shoot for Prada because they were made out of leather.
  • Owns two cats.
  • Reportedly never reads his own press or reviews.
  • Rides a Ducati motorcycle and a yellow '72 Le Mans.
  • Shares a birthday with actress Julia Roberts.
  • Spoke Spanish as a small child but forgot most of it as he got older.
  • Was friends with Heath Ledger.
  • Also credited as: Leaf Phoenix / Lief Phoenix
  • Was paid $3,500,000 for WALK THE LINE (2005)
  • Was paid $850,000 for LADDER 49 (2004)
  • Was paid $5,000,000 for THE VILLAGE (2004)
  • Was paid $1,000,000 for SIGNS (2002)
  • Was paid $700,000 for BUFFALO SOLDIERS (2001)
  • Was paid $375,000 for QUILLS (2000)
  • Nominated for Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role at BAFTA Awards for GLADIATOR (2001)
  • Nominated for Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Supporting Role at Screen Actors Guild Awards for GLADIATOR (2001)
  • Nominated for Best Villain at MTV Movie Awards for GLADIATOR (2001)
  • Nominated for Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture at Golden Globe Awards for GLADIATOR (2001)
  • Nominated for Best Line from a Movie at MTV Movie Awards for GLADIATOR (2001)
  • Nominated for Best Actor in a Supporting Role at Academy Awards for GLADIATOR (2001)
  • It's kind of embarrassing, but I did jump a few times." (about his latest film, SIGNS)
  • You work on a film, and you see 20 takes. When it's all put together, it's all flowing, there's a continuity. And if it's done right, you get just as swept away as anyone else."
  • When I go out with the ladies, I don't force them to pronounce my name. I tell them I like to go by the nickname of Kitten."
  • I had a Catholic girlfriend but she wouldn't, uh, share loving."
  • After River's death, I felt like I was in an altered state. It took me over a year to get my life back.“
  • As I'm reading a script, I start to see the character. I always seem to do something to my hair. A lot of stuff I do for a part, people don't even notice, but I notice, and it makes the character whole for me.“
  • First of all, I really think that the greatest fear for actors, is reaching the point in which they go, 'God, I'm good at this', because I think the work will really suffer. It's not a conscious effort, it's just I always hope I can do justice to the films and characters. I feel that I've been choosy in my roles as much as I can be, and I only work on films that I REALLY want to make.“
  • I changed my name because no one in the States could pronounce 'Joaquin' and I used to get really embarrassed about it as a kid. All the other kids in my family had gorgeous names and I got 'Joaquin', you know what I mean? So I said 'This is not good. Even I can't say it'.“
  • I don't have the slightest desire to speak about my dead brother. It gets on my nerves to always be compared with him. My brother was a magnificent person and an outstanding actor.“
  • I don't know Shakespeare! I'm not a serious actor. Directors always make references, and I go: "Ah, I'll check it out," and I never, ever do. I'm incredibly lazy.“
  • I don't know why I always get to play these guys who have few redeeming features. But don't knock it. Villains are much more fun.“
  • I enjoy humour more than anything, I don't really sit around banging my head and crying all the time.“
  • I go into movies thinking, we're performing, but with interviews, we're pretending to be completely real. I just can't get my head around it. And the things we say in this hour could permanently shape our personas. I mean, tell me that's not a little odd! And because I think that's odd, people think I'm odd. And that's strange. Know what I'm saying?“
  • I had a really wonderful upbringing. We were a tight family. It was wonderful to grow up with so many siblings. We were all just a year or two apart, and we were always so supportive of each other. I learned everything from my older brother and sister and taught it to my younger sisters.“
  • I live a really boring life. I'm much more clichéd, pathetic and pretentious than you would probably give me credit for. I don't want to do much of anything when I'm not working. It's important that any woman I know shouldn't need to be stimulated outside the house, because I can't provide that.“
  • I never think that I'm good at anything I do. I can always do it better, I know my weakness. I've never been perfect.“
  • I'm going to sound a little weird here, but I like to spend a lot of time on my own in the woods. I don't exactly sneak off in the middle of the night, but I like to be in a place where no one can reach me by phone or e-mail.“
  • I'm not the indie kid, and I'm also not the John Grisham novel hero, but I am all of those things. I do whatever excites me at the time. I'll be in some huge $80 million buddy cop movie, I don't care, and I'll also do some wild independent movie. I refuse to have an agenda.“
  • If you can come in, say your lines brilliantly, and be thinking 'What's for lunch?' the whole time you're doing it and it works for the audience, who cares?“
  • It's a bad idea for actors to grow accustomed to seeing themselves on camera, because inevitably you start doing things and become too self-conscious. The only way to prevent it is by not being aware of yourself in that way or at least trying not to be.“
  • It's been a year since last time I tried to give up smoking. I went to a hypnotist; we sat down and started talking. A couple of hours later, I woke up; the hypnotist wasn't in the room, but his wife was. I was like 'Oh my goodness, I fell asleep and didn't get to talk to the doctor.' And she said 'Don't worry, you talked...' I freaked out, left their place, immediately bought a pack of cigarettes and smoked, terrified of what I'd said.“
  • Making movies is a constant manipulation. You manipulate the environment. You make it rain when you want it to. You manipulate actors. And as an actor, you try and manipulate your feelings to match what you think you'd be going through in a situation where your character is going through something.“
  • My significant other right now is myself, which is what happens when you suffer from multiple personality disorder and self-obsession.“
  • That kind of fame; I couldn't have it in my life. I love that we can sit on the lawn in Central Park and I'm just one of the millions. I don't want to lose that. I'm trying to figure out the perfect strategy. And it's tough. I just want to be right in the middle.“
  • The reason I keep making movies is I hate the last thing I did. I'm trying to rectify my wrongs.“
  • On falling into acting: "I suck at painting and writing; I tried both. For me, it's acting because I grew up with it. When we moved to California, we all did commercials and TV shows. Riv was the first to get a TV show and me and my sister Liberty guest-starred on another show. It was kind of accidental.
  • On his childhood and his live on the land with his family: "I remember us being poor, but I never felt embarrassed, or like I was missing anything. I don't remember the hardship of trying to make it, just how my parents always managed to get through.
  • On relationship with Liv Tyler: "I was in awe. Every once in a while you find an actor that, with one word, can sum up eight different emotions. She absolutely nailed that.
  • On relationship with Liv Tyler: "I'm a great believer in people coming into your life, and you into theirs, for a reason. And i know that when Liv and I met, it was for a reason - I really needed her and she really needed me. And at a certain point, I think we stopped evolving with each other, stopped progressing, and made a very mature decision to move on, even though there was still a great love there. There's no one gossipy thing that I can share. I'm thankful that we had the time we had.
  • On relationship with Liv Tyler: "What can I say ? We hit it off immediately. She's a darling. I've said it over and over again. She's just very real, right there, never like a movie star. She's so genuine, and she doesn't take herself too seriously. It shows in the work she does that her honesty stands out most.
  • On living without older brother River: “River and I would talk about being old, being in our 50s together, how it'd probably take us that long to get to work together. There was something gorgeous about us being old together. River will be missed -period. I mean now, more than ever I wish I could talk to him.
  • On maintaining a lower profile then some of his other Hollywood peers: “The less someone knows about me, the better, because my intention is to play a variety of characters.
  • On acting being his biggest challenge: “Acting. I'm one of those actors who likes to stay in character between takes. I drive other actors crazy but, to me, the most important thing when I'm making a film is that the character takes precedence. I become obsessed with whoever I'm playing. I want to explore the character as completely as I can. The moment an actor becomes satisfied with themselves, their work suffers. I think that we should always challenge ourselves in work. “
  • Hollywood Film Awards: Actor Of The Year, WALK THE LINE (2005)
  • San Diego Film Critics Society Awards: Special Award - Body of Work, QUILLS (2000) Nominated for Outstanding Performance by the Cast of a Theatrical Motion Picture at Screen Actors Guild Awards for GLADIATOR (2001)
  • Broadcast Film Critics Association Awards: Best Supporting Actor, QUILLS (2001)
  • Blockbuster Entertainment Awards: Favorite Villain (Internet Only), GLADIATOR (2001)
  • National Board of Review: Best Supporting Actor, GLADIATOR (2000)